On Friday, 23 May 2014 at 23:56:39 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Friday, 23 May 2014 at 19:59:23 UTC, Mattcoder wrote:
Hehe, I'm just imagining what Walter will say: "Lack of images"!


Heh, I actually went through a few idea stages here:

1) I'd list the druntime functions. I determined this to be boring and subject to change anyway. But I spent like a month without better ideas and it was too boring for me to even do... so yeah nothing got done.

2) I'd write a little bare metal program to use as the slide show that demonstrates various language features and highlights their source code with animations and responses to timers and keyboard input. The "slides" would then be the source to that program.

Probably would have been cool, but I never found the time to actually write it. (I wrote the foundation for it, the timer interrupt handler, the text video output, the bulk of D working... but the program itself just kept being put off in favor of other things)

3) Then, a big breakthrough happened: I had that day with the friends walking on that bridge guard rail. (BTW it wasn't actually 50 miles high, but it is no exaggeration that I was terrified for the guy who walked all the way across it. One other person there walked across part, but she had the good sense to get back on the regular road once we got over the water. But the one guy is a madman, a madman!)

That got me thinking about cost/benefit with experimentation and I realized that story made a good contrast with the test.d files I make so often and the talk plan changed.


At this point, my plan was to get a handful of photographs to illustrate each concept... but again, things just kept coming up. Last week, I decided to stop stressing over it and just accept that I was going to be unprepared. (Which actually worked out well enough for me in church last month when I got a literally last minute request to substitute teach there and it went ok for everybody but my armpits lol. But if I can fill an hour improvising a reasonably productive discussion on faith and prophets, surely I can do it about D.)

Anyway, by moving the goalposts from "nice visual presentation" to "I'll improvise it live!", I went from worrying about being unprepared to being content with just knowing the big idea and let my mind go back to other things.

That said, I didn't want to improvise *everything* because I had an experience back in the 5th grade that taught me otherwise. The science teacher gave me a chance to do a planetarium presentation. I knew how to work the projection machine and knew a little bit of material, but I didn't actually have even a lesson outline prepared and I leaned HEAVILY on the teacher to bail me out.

However, before I knew it, it was already May 22, I was in California, and firewalled out of my desktop computer. So I did the next best thing: got out my notebook and pen and scribbled down a page of topics to touch.

I expected to have to open the floor to questions after like 20 minutes and spend the rest of the time just talking with people, but to my surprise, it filled the whole hour. (Actually, that shouldn't be so surprising, just Monday night I spent an hour talking with a couple friends about half a page of notes. But that's a totally different audience and a totally different set of topics so I wasn't sure it would pad out the same way.)


Regardless, it was pretty ok, if a bit wandering at times. Could have been a lot worse.



BTW re the last "cool stuff" header note, here's the code I slapped together to demo that idea:

import std.stdio;

align(1)
struct foo {
//align(16):
   ubyte c;
   ushort d;
   uint b;
   ushort a;
}

pragma(msg, diagram!foo);

string diagram(T)() {
    import std.string, std.conv;
    string ret;
    T t;
    int offset = 0;
    foreach(idx, item; t.tupleof) {
        int off = t.tupleof[idx].offsetof;
        int size = t.tupleof[idx].sizeof;

        if(off > offset) {
           // padding
           foreach(i; 0 .. off-offset)
             ret ~= format(" internal padding\n");
           offset += off-offset;
        }

        foreach(i; 0 .. size)
ret ~= format(" %s\n", t.tupleof[idx].stringof[2..$]);

        offset += size;
    }

     foreach(i; 0 .. T.sizeof-offset)
        ret ~= format(" struct padding to %d\n", T.sizeof);

    return ret;
}


Of course, I ultimately used my fingers as bytes but here you can play with it a bit more and see different combinations as to struct layout so have some fun with it!


Your presentation was awesome. I wish there was more time available.
And btw, you were looking great too! :)

  • Per popular demand, here ar... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Per popular demand... Mattcoder via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Per popular de... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Per popula... John via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Per po... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: P... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: P... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Per popula... Tolga Cakiroglu via Digitalmars-d-announce

Reply via email to