On 22/09/2014 19:59, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
Firefox requires 4GB of memory to build.
Chromium requires 8GB of memory to build.
Android requires 16GB of memory to build.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize.

If you want to work on big projects, you WILL need a decent computer.

I think 4GB for a modern programming language's implementation is not an
unreasonable requirement, even if it could be brought down in the
future. Especially considering that you can't even buy a new laptop
today with less than 4GB of RAM, and 3GB is becoming the norm for
smartphones.

OK. Perhaps I can upgrade my RAM (I can't afford a new computer). Linking phobos.lib is the first time I've got OOM, I use Firefox heavily. phobos.lib is only 10 MB, which is why I thought it odd that linking uses well over 1 GB.
  • Digger 1.0 Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Digger 1.0 Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Digger 1.0 Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Digger 1.0 Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Digger 1.0 Nick Treleaven via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Digger 1.0 simendsjo via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Digger ... ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Digger ... simendsjo via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Digger ... Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: Di... Nick Treleaven via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re... Nick Treleaven via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Nick Treleaven via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Nick Treleaven via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: Di... Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re... Sean Kelly via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Digger ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • [OT] M... simendsjo via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re... ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce