On Thursday, 2 October 2014 at 11:12:12 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
On Thursday, 2 October 2014 at 07:43:54 UTC, eles wrote:
update-manager -d

It works.

Does it perform package upgrade? The comments are rather scary:
---
Hi, I have installed Linux mint 15 with Mint4Win as Dual boot with Windows 7.
Then upgraded it to Mint 16 and it was running fine.
But when I upgrade to Mint 17 (Qiana), after restarting the partition loop0 (or loopback0 or something like that) fails to load. It shows an error like, Press I to ignore, S to skip or M for manual recovery.

Please tell me a way to fix this.
Or let me know if it is not possible.
---

Looks like my case. Are fstab and mtab replaced during upgrade?

You should drop Mint, they have a quite disruptive policy, but they are kinda unique in the Linux world. Better choice in the Mint world would be LMDE:

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

You simply made the wrong choice in the beginning.