On Friday, 16 January 2015 at 20:20:56 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 January 2015 at 03:46:39 UTC, Philpax wrote:
Hey everyone,

I recently wrote a blog post about how I used D/vibe.d to help find a new house. I haven't publicized it anywhere else yet, so I'm looking forward to what the D community has to say! You can check it out here: http://philpax.me/blog/heady-house-hunting-with-d

D made it easy to model the problem and quickly crunch through it; I'm pretty happy with how quickly I was able to get decent results. It's not the most idiomatic of code, but D's flexibility meant that I could concentrate on the concept instead of the implementation details.

Heh, I wrote something similar (much much simpler) to find the best hotel for DConf 2013. The program extracted the hotel's geographical coordinates, and then queried the Google Maps API to find the one that had the shortest public transit time assuming we wanted to arrive at 8:30 AM.

Since then, I started doing it for all important purchases - TV, AC unit, laptop... The laptop program used a score model like yours. The biggest issue is that it's hard to find accurate information on household hardware, especially since there are a myriad models for each tiny European market.

Here's the hotel program (list.txt is a list of booking.com URLs):

http://dump.thecybershadow.net/2ebca3f47b801aed0104585f60b9587e/scan.d

By the way, does your blog have a RSS feed for D posts? Then I could add it to Planet D.

Heh, good to know that other people have taken similarly clever approaches to decision making :) I don't have a D-specific RSS feed (my blog's fairly simple, since I haven't written many posts) but I have one for all posts: http://philpax.me/news.rss. In the future, I'll consider adding categories and category-specific RSS feeds.