On Thursday, 26 March 2015 at 10:17:42 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 March 2015 at 22:30:15 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
Downplaying other languages makes the D crowd look desperate...

Heh, there were whole sites like phpain (can't find it now) and something similar for C++.

The feature set of C++ does cause maintenance issues in real world codebases if you let programmers roam about freely and "redefine" the syntax/semantics. More so than C with it's limited feature set. Are you sure that D does not have similar issues? I have no idea how Go fares, but orthogonal simplicity could be an advantage in real world code bases where you read code other people have written/mutated.

What I find interesting is that Python also has a feature set for redefining semantics that should cause C++ like issues. Still, I find most Python libraries I use to be fairly clean and intuitive. Maybe the fact that Python is untyped and non-performance-oriented makes programmers constrain themselves more from producing spaghetti libraries...?