On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 18:25:02 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
On Monday, 1 June 2015 at 12:39:13 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On the other hand, AST macros have been officially rejected and that I like a lot :)

Hi.

Just out of curiosity, what are the evils of AST macros (or could you point me to something you like on the topic)?

There was extended discussion in old threads but short summary of my opinion is:

- allows implicit changes to language semantics (== learning new framework is effectively learning new language)
- overlaps in functionality with mixins for majority of use cases
- less intuitive to newcomers (though cleaner/safer to experienced programmers, I admit that)
- requires standard (and stable!) AST format
        • Re: DConf ... extrawurst via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: DC... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: DConf ... Dan Olson via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: DC... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Dan Olson via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: DConf ... Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: DC... via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Dmitri Makarov via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: DC... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • R... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: DConf ... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: DC... Liran Zvibel via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: DConf ... Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: DC... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: DConf ... Mathias Lang via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: DConf 2015 has ende... Liran Zvibel via Digitalmars-d-announce