On 6/9/16 4:37 PM, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
Am 09.06.2016 um 15:06 schrieb Steven Schveighoffer:
On 6/8/16 2:45 PM, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
(...)
Apart from what I've already mentioned in my first reply to Jacob, I
think there is nothing else that couldn't be solved in either case.

"It's still possible to put something else in front of it"

I didn't get this. How is /+ different from /*? I thought the only issue
was the nesting.

I mean together with the restriction that it has to be the first /+ +/
comment, it is possible to put // and /* style comments in front of it
without interference.

Oh, didn't see that aspect. I'll answer this with your last point.

Okay, so at least 3 people favor supporting other comment styles, while
I'm not convinced that supporting all comment styles is necessarily
better, I wouldn't mind pulling an update. The relevant code section is
here:
https://github.com/dlang/dub/blob/b02c18991b0cb4627eb0c943efd6ca3e69192751/source/dub/dub.d#L288

Thanks. Perhaps more debate is fruitless until someone steps up with an
implementation :)

Rory has started an implementation: https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/872

But this has brought up another issue. The idea was to allow the recipe
comment to be anywhere in the file and be of any comment style. However,
that basically almost requires a full D lexer (at least string literals
need to be parsed in addition to the comment styles).

I'm reluctant to include this in the current state, because the results
for a program such as the following will be very confusing:

    bool foo(string str)
    {
        return str.startsWith("/*");
    }

    /* dub.sdl: ... */
    void main()
    {
    }

The string literal will be recognized as the start of a comment and thus
the real comment below will not be recognized. So I think we should
either have a generic and correct version, or one that is restricted
similar to the current one to sidestep such issues.

I think the idea to include it anywhere in the file is not worth the trouble. I also wouldn't want to scroll through an entire file for such a thing.

But it also brings up the point, what if the first /+ comes after:

return str.startsWith("/+");

1.0.0-rc.1 is scheduled for Monday morning, so it should ready by then
to avoid stretching the release schedule (it's technically a breaking
change!).

How would this be a breaking change? It seems an additive feature, and
I'm not sure it's required to be there before the first 1.0 release.

There could be a /* */ comment before the /+ dub.*: +/ one, which is now
not considered as a recipe comment candidate. Depending on its contents,
the behavior could change once /* */ is also recognized. However, that
case would be easily detectable and a warning could be emitted instead,
while falling back to the old behavior. So it's not really an issue
after all.

Yeah, comments are not hard to parse, if they are the first thing you are expecting.

I would say it doesn't have to be the first comment, but it has to be one of the first things in the file. You can simply throw away other comments.

You may want to just tell the user: look, this isn't perfect, it's not a D parser. Expect reasonable results for reasonable situations :) If you have a line of code that looks like it could match the sdl file, then put the true sdl file above it.

-Steve