On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 at 12:28:28 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
Is the plan to put this into Phobos? If so, I would put it under std/experimental/io. However, if not, it should not be std/io.

I don't know yet how it will turn, but phobos is very much in need of a better Files and Sockets. Certainly the ambition is to write a standard-worthy library.

Honestly it seems to me that the std.experimental-experiment didn't succeed. It's still too much overhead to develop in phobos (and get it reviewed/merged), there is no clear path from std.experimental -> std, and if sth. is well-proofed outside of phobos there is no point in putting it into std.experimental in the first place.

Developing std.io-v0.1.0 on dub until it reaches v1.0.0, seems like a straightforward and obvious approach. Also at our current community size, I'm hardly worried about namespace clashes. Plus I'm already using std.internal.cstring as workhorse to support any string-like ranges (including @nogc std.path ranges) and core.internal.string : unsignedToTempString to avoid the fat and exception throwing formattedWrite (even the templated variant isn't nothrow).