On Tuesday, 5 December 2017 at 18:20:40 UTC, Seb wrote:
Hi all,

Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2018 is about to start soon [1] (the application period for organizations is in January 2018). Hence, I would very happy about any project ideas you have or projects which are important to you. And, of course, if you would be willing to mentor a student, please don't forget to tell me. You can always reach me via mail (seb [at] wilzba [dot] ch) or on Slack (dlang.slack.com). There's also a special #gsoc channel.

[...]

do i have to be an actual student in order to participate?