On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 23:35:36 UTC, Seb wrote:
Someone revived the Expressive C++17 Coding Challenge thread today and I thought this is an excellent opportunity to revive my blog and finally write an article showing why I like D so much:

https://seb.wilzba.ch/b/2018/02/the-expressive-c17-coding-challenge-in-d

It's mostly targeted at beginners as I explain many basic D features, but maybe it's helpful for beginners looking into D.

Nice work! I was recently asked by my employer "why D?". I think I need to show them this.

Aren’t you concered that Rust is faster in this benchmark?

Not at all. The challenge was to write expressive code and if performance really matters I can always opt to optimize the hot path of the program and don’t need to pay a > 4x code duplication cost upfront.

You've gotta address this, IMO. What's the performance/expressiveness tradeoff like in D?

Mike