On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 at 09:50:31 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

If C++ isn't viewed as a competitor, why bother with repetitive complaining about C++?

Because it doesn't get enough criticism ;-)

I believe the programming langauges of the future, and the ones people should invest their time learning, are those that can be best understood in the least amount of time.

This is because programs are getting larger and more complex, and to understand them at all, they have to be simple to understand.

C++ is not simple. It never has been. The so called 'modernisation' of it is not helping me to change my mind about it ;-)

And chances are, when you go to work in some C++ environment, you'll have to deal with lots of legacy style code - which you will be expected to understand as well.

It's time to stop 'improving' C++ and redesign it from scratch - or move to D.