On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 at 09:28:48 UTC, psychoticRabbit wrote:
yeah.. even the more modern C++ code still makes me want to stay clear of it...(perhaps even more so).

I just never get the same feeling when I look at D programs.

I get the same feeling from both languages, to be honest. Average library code for both languages are harder to read than I think should be the norm (granted Python libs can also be somewhat hard to read, but still much easier on average). Both languages are easier to read when you spend time with them yourself, obviously. Both languages are easier to read when the programmer has been conservative in his/her use of features.

This situation is what happens when you add features at a high rate in the early years and don't want to clean up because of backwards compatibility. C++ has been at it for longer and are adding more features at a higher rate than D... so C++ becomes harder and harder to master if you read other people's arbitrary code. That doesn't mean D shouldn't clean up... I'd say it is necessary to get ahead.

For both languages you can always stick to your own idioms and write cleaner code than you see on github, and blog posts tend to be feature-show-offs (surprisingly often written by people who don't write a lot of code in the language they are posting about) so I don't think blogs are the right measure. Look at large code bases that are in widespread use to get an idea of what happens over time in terms of maintainability.

Anyway, C++ at this point has slightly better lambdas than D and D will notice the competition if C++ ends up adding stackless coroutines (e.g. Python like generators). Not a big discrepancy in features at this point, but C++ is moving at a higher rate... and that should be a concern if C++ is viewed as a competitor.

If C++ isn't viewed as a competitor, why bother with repetitive complaining about C++?