On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 01:10:28 UTC, psychoticRabbit wrote:
On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 00:36:19 UTC, Dylan Graham wrote:

And personally, depending on the problem, C# is better to program in than D. I still don't know why C# programmers are willing to give up C# and prefer to use D.
C# is vastly surperior for what it does.

Because, even the language creators seem to not recognize this, D looks like C# with *native compilation*, the syntax is 95% identical. Basically, if my source code doesn't use any .NET framework function, it will compile successfully with dmd without any (major) change.

I suppose that every C# programmer is enthusiastic on the first contact with the D language, but fails to keep his enthusiasm when he sees Phobos. C# programmer's mind is locked in the OOP world and Phobos looks like a mess from his point of view.

The problem is that D stagnates and in the same time C# evolves. Sometimes I feel like the C# language team is using D as inspiration for the new features, starting with C# 7.0, a lot of D concepts were introduced in the language: local functions, '_' as digit separator, binary literals, ref returns, tuples, templates, immutability. Guess what the next version of C# has on the table: slices.

In the same time, D delegates new features (and sometime existing ones) to library implementation, instead of assume them in the language syntax.

My opinion is that the day when C# will compile to native (on any platform), the C# developer interest in D will drop instantly.