Flash is closed to a point. The format is not. This allows many tools to
read and write or manipulate SWF and FLV files in many ways.
Not that I love Flash from an authoring standpoint...the whole IDE UI has
always been overly complex. It's a holdover from the days when Director and
Lingo were king.