One problem with psychology -- rather with the popular use of
psychology -- is that everbody believes themselves to be a lay
psychologist; the same doesn't hold true for medicine, for example, or
biology.

A related problem is the way technical terms become appropriated by
society, their meanings becoming distorted even while people believe
the distorted meanings to refer to the same original terms.
'Relativity' is one such term from physics that has become a part of
everyday speech but the common connotation is quite removed from its
technical definition.

I'm referring here to the terms 'extraversion' (rather than
'extroversion') and 'intraversion'.  These terms are commonly taken to
mean -- the backslapping sociable behavior is extraversion, while
sitting alone in a corner reading a book is introversion.  Not at all.
 A Extravert TRAIT as understood by people in business) is understood
to mean that the individual draws energy through relatively intense
interaction with people.  An Intravert TRAIT would mean that the
concerned individual feels drained by interacting with people.  The
terms don't mean that a Intravert avoids people or that an Extravert
is relentlessly garrulous.  One realizes that there are a variety of
activities one is required to engage in in order to live a productive
life, but there are some activities one prefers and thoroughly over
others.  OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.  Personality tests should not be
administered to children who are still developing their personalities
and may not show stable results for those under 25.  But for older
persons, the results tend to become increasingly reliable --- provided
one is not gaming the instrument [which will happen if it is seen as
something to 'score' in].

Being 'animated' does not -- by itself -- an EXTRAVERT make.  An
intraverted person can become very animated about an issue that she is
very passionate about.  Being intraverted and passionate are not
mutually exclusive.  In fact, the halls of academe are filled with
intraverted persons who aren't necessarily dull and boring in class.
Giving lectures doesn't demand 'extraversion'.  Doing presentations in
the manner of Tom Peters and Steve Ballmer does demand 'extraversion'.

Likewise, being not very communicative at a cocktail party does not
imply that one is an 'intravert'.  Perhaps the context doesn't excite
you very much.

It is possible that you are really an 'intravert'.  Judge your
'intraversion' and 'extraversion' from how you feel about interacting
in small or large groups intensely with others, not necessarily on
matters that are your primary interest (such as IxD, for instance).
As for me, I enjoy solitude as much as the next person and many of my
deepest insights come from going out for a walk alone.  But I can (and
do) pick up conversations with anybody, anywhere, without signficant
effort.  And such interactions leave me energized rather than drained.
 [Now, there are people and situations that drain me, but those are
exceptions.]   I conclude, therefore, that I am an Extravert.  And
that is exactly what the instrument tells me.  I do my taxes, and run
through the numbers with a fine toothcomb.  Heck, I have
qualifications in engineering, business, and information technology.
And I can do detailed, structured, technical stuff when required.  But
I absolutely enjoy fuzzy, ambiguous, uncertain situations and tasks.

I must emphasize that the evaluation is to be done by oneself.  One
may use the observations of others as additional data points to either
reinforce or refute one's position.  And by aggregating a lot of such
anecdotal data, one can get close to the 'truth', whatever that might
be.

There is another issue relating to the 'attribution error' point that
you make.  Some individuals -- and personality styles -- tend to be
better at accurately understanding themselves than others.  Howard
Gardner calls this 'intrapersonal intelligence.'  Both Gardner and the
MBTI have been trashed by 'fine scholars everywhere' as well as
sneering skeptics.  Nevertheless, a lot of very intelligent and
reasonable people (and not just those that read the National Inquirer,
Readers Digest and People) find a lot of face validity in both
Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences and the MBTI (and other
personality tests).

Always keep in mind George Box's dictum: All models are wrong. Some
are useful.  And Richard Hamming's advice: The purpose of computing is
insight, not numbers.

Insight is what we're looking for.  Personality style instruments are
not accurate, but accuracy is not their purpose, but insight.  And a
model.  And who doesn't use models.

--
murli nagasundaram, ph.d. | www.murli.com |  [EMAIL PROTECTED] | +91 99
02 69 69 20