On Jan 30, 2008, at 10:41 AM, dave malouf wrote:

> Jeff, actually, what bothered me about Andrei's response was not his
> declaration that some on this list are not interested in aesthetics,
> but the assertion (implicit) in his last responses that aesthetics
> lies in the realm of form (visual, auditory, and spatial).

If it's somehow coming across that I only believe material aesthetic
is important or required, then let me clarify now that I don't mean
that and do not want to imply that, implicitly or otherwise. I tend
to approach my job as inclusively as possible, using material and
immaterial qualities to achieve my aesthetic goals.

> I also
> feel it is a bit of a burden to think about a career & education path
> where all junior people have to understand ALL the aspects of all
> aesthetic qualities. To me they should start with a core and build on
> that over time.

Of course. But given what architect, graphic and industrial students
are taught these days, I think its fair to say that any educational
program around interaction design as a discipline asks far less of
its students than those other established disciplines. So there's
plenty of room to add to the foundation as near as I can tell. And I
think students would jump at the chance to have a program that
covered the breadth of interaction if its defined as both
interactivity and aesthetic from the craft and skills point of view.

After that, if it wasn't clear that I think this is a life long
journey, then I clarify that now and say it explicitly. It is.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world