Christine's comment is prescient given the blog posting by Seth Godin:

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2008/01/tribal-manageme.html

"Tribe Management

Brand management is so 1999.

Brand management was top down, internally focused, political and money
based. It involved an MBA managing the brand, the ads, the shelf space, etc.
The MBA argued with product development and manufacturing to get decent
stuff, and with the CFO to get more cash to spend on ads.

Tribe management is a whole different way of looking at the world.

It starts with permission, the understanding that the real asset most
organizations can build isn't an amorphous brand but is in fact the
privilege of delivering anticipated, personal and relevant messages to
people who want to get them.

It adds to that the fact that what people really want is the ability to
connect to each other, not to companies. So the permission is used to build
a tribe, to build people who want to hear from the company because it helps
them connect, it helps them find each other, it gives them a story to tell
and something to talk about.

And of course, since this is so important, product development and
manufacturing and the CFO *work* for the tribal manager. Everything the
organization does is to feed and grow and satisfy the tribe.

Instead of looking for customers for your products, you seek out products
(and services) for the tribe. Jerry Garcia understood this. Do you?

Who does this work for? Try record companies and bloggers, real estate
agents and recruiters, book publishers and insurance companies. It works for
Andrew Weil and for Rickie Lee Jones and for Rupert at the WSJ... But it
also works for a small web development firm or a venture capitalist.

People form tribes with or without us. The challenge is to work for the
tribe and make it something even better."

2008/1/31 Christine Boese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I dunno. It appears to me that the biggest sector for manufactured outrage
> over social media numbers going up or down comes from VC or others (tech
> media) with such a vested interest in people "slathering" all over
> something
> with mass media-scale obsession numbers that they appear to lose all
> perspective. No massive numbers, and VC are bored, perhaps because they
> are
> offended when people don't behave like utter sheep and move around en
> masse
> when their buttons are pushed.
>
> Thank god for interactivity, heterogeneity, long tails, diversity, and
> other
> things that vex these people so horribly.
>
> Anybody who participates in social media, and has over long periods of
> time
> (The Well? Remember listservs? Usenet?) understands very well that there
> are
> "lifecyles" for all gathering places. When was the last time you wept over
> dead shopping mall with grass growing in the cracks in the parking lot?
> How
> long can an active church go on without some doctrine dispute that leads a
> chunk of the parishoners to split off into a rival congregation?
>
> I suspect that the people with the deep pockets are primarily gold
> prospectors, looking to mine rich veins, and when they discover faster
> money
> or better gushers (to mix the metaphors thoroughly), they will move on,
> and
> the social networks will remain to give them the finger. Which type of
> folks
> would you rather side with?
>
> Social networks and the virtual landscapes they have authored preceded the
> flow of money online, and they persisted through the last crash (imagine
> that!), and they will persist again, regardless of how crowds migrate and
> social groups change and morph, who splits off from which church, or which
> discussion group has the greatest center of SOCIAL gravity (which bears
> little correspondence to MONEY gravity).
>
> Chris
>
> 2008/1/31 Jeff Axup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > I really like this quote - " people are, just, well, *bored* of social
> > networks."  As if humanity will *ever* be bored of social networks,
> > considering that we have been happily using them for thousands of years.
> >
> > It certainly wouldn't be surprising that there would be an upper bound
> on
> > how much socialization an individual can maintain, and that the need for
> > different types of socialization change throughout the phases of one's
> > life.
> > My guess is that the SNAs that offer more mature services such as
> finding
> > employment may appeal to a larger audience and see longer-term usage,
> > while
> [...]

~ will

"No matter how beautiful,
no matter how cool your interface,
it would be better if there were less of it."
Alan Cooper
-
"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"
will evans
user experience architect
[EMAIL PROTECTED]