Greenfield makes some great points, Jeff. Thanks for that link to his
"Antisocial Networking" rant.

Looking at this from the standpoint of anthropology, I think there's
something inevitable about how we're wrestling with some of these
details just a few years after we've functionally connected
ourselves in real time to the entire world (or those relatively few
inhabitants of the world who can afford the time and technology to
play along).

When we superimpose new technology on a pre-existing convention, it
becomes a sort of metaphor for that convention. But a web page is not
in fact a "page" at all. Our "friends" on MySpace are not really
friends, and the word "apple" is not an apple.

The metaphor is profoundly useful for our understanding of any new
thing -- if we don't forget it's a metaphor.