> http://www.prisonyardworkout.com

Wow. OK, I'll bite.

I think your conversion rate issue runs more deeply into psychology than
interface design. The product may be great, and with such a reasonable price
tag, the potential benefits likely far outweigh the barrier to entry. The
site also has some of the essential ingredients for successful conversion
frameworks.

The problem, I think, is the overwhelming creepy feeling you get by loading
the page. I mean, it's a real struggle to get past the first impression and
think to yourself, "OK, OK, so they were inmates—who cares? That doesn't
mean they're bad all around—it could mean they're great at workouts." No one
should have to go through all that mental work to rationalize their interest
in the product.

This happens because the main image on the site (in the header), the
featured story, etc, is about prison, not about workouts. And I'm betting
many people don't want to associate themselves with inmates—at least not so
directly. They don't want to have the image of tattooed bare-chested
convicts pop into their heads while working out. The site is gray like a
prison, edgy and grungy like a prison, etc.

People like people who are like themselves. You can certainly keep the
name—it's great to have an offbeat angle such as "Prisonyard Workout"—but
everything else on the site should be about reflecting customers back to
themselves, to play on their vanity (which is part of why they want to work
out in the first place, right?) and to jump-start their sense of social
proof. The images on the site should be of people the site's customers are
more likely to know, or people they're likely to be themselves.

Show customers people like them who have been successful, and take away
anything prison-like, and potential customers will be more willing to buy.
In other words, sell prison workouts without forcing people to identify with
prisoners.

-r-