I believe we still cannot design a "mediated social interaction" as
the tools used for this purposes are still evolving and changing
their shape continuously.

The example of the conversation in a pub ("do you want fries?") or
in a prison comes from the normalisation effect of the use. You can
forecast phrases and dialogues like "Do you want fries?" because
fries became common. I believe the same phrase in the period in which
potatoes were eaten only burned on fire would have had different
reactions.

Still, my pshychological and sociological background says that a part
of this interaction can be forecasted and designed, as far as you
remain aware that users will possibly bend it to its communicational
needs.

However, I'm not aware of any psychological research turned into
social utility... would be curious as well.