Okay - not sure that you can design what people say to each other, but I completely flaked and forgot the Stanford and Milgram experiments - in both cases the researchers were able to "design" the interactions between prisoners/prison guards and torturer/ tortured and showed pretty decisively that interactions can be designed, and even the most psychologically healthy/stable individuals can, under certain circumstances, become sadists. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Good point - I forgot to mention behavioural psychologists (my wife is a psychologist - I raid her literature lists often). They design all sorts of social interactions, often with a good deal of deception too. Some of the experiments are very mean and/or funny.

I still feel, even in the best design social, um, architecture, that there is at least a 70:30 mix of design and magic. Does anyone know of any social, er, utilities (we really need to get a handle on these names) that have been explicitly designed off of the back of behavioural psych research like this?

Best,

Andy

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Andy Polaine

Research | Writing | Strategy
Interaction Concept Design
Education Futures