Another way of looking at it is this: Are you looking to drive
behavior or accommodate it? WIth functionality that is new you may
have more liberty in directing the tasks and activities. For improving
functionality that already exists, you may want to lean towards
integrating that pre-existing behavior. In this later situation, user
research becomes critical.