> ACD ignores goals, needs, and context, whereas UCD does not. It's a
> superset / subset relationship.

Just to clear up Activity Theory does not ignore this.
For example you start off by observing users. From this observation you
break down the groups into praxis (people doing the same thing), and then
you break the individuals behaviour into activities, of which you break down
further into actions, which are further subdivided into operations.
The activities, actions, and operations are what then informs the design.
Dependent on your users the activities, actions, and operations may be
different for different users.

Take your nurses example. The experienced nurse may have
different activities, actions, and operations then the Trainee nurse, even
though they operate in the same praxis.

On the other hand with UCD you again start by observing users, and then from
this observation you create "Personas", which then informs your design.

So the difference between the two approaches is the output used to inform
design.

James