Peter,

I agree in what you are saying.

Where we are now is very dangerous. The practice that we are is not a
pure aesthetic discipline (and there is loads of theory there anyway but it
matters less), but one that is making a claim that by using it it will lead
to more usable software, or a better experience of using machines.

That would put it in the realm of Scientific method. Are we a pseudo science
or real science? What side of Scientific Philosophy people use, (Kuhn,
Simon, or Popper) matters less than people understand that there
are differences of approaches.

I don't know if the answer is that everyone gets grounded in theory -- that
> can be stultifying. But there's no way to get anywhere with these
> methodological discussions without appreciating the theory underlying them.

I think that people would benefit getting some basics in the
different Philosophies. Most Art Degrees here in Europe has some theory
taught. HCI claiming to be science should have
some Scientific Philosophy taught as well .

We need to make a strong argument to our clients that good interaction
design can help them. But at the moment we do not know how to argue our
point.

HCI has taken many techniques from other disciplines. For example
Ethnography from Anthropology. But a very narrow one based upon "Grounded
Theory" which has many limitations.

Then on this argument about "Activity Theory" is very hard
to penetrate unless you read it from a Marxist standpoint. "Activity Theory"
is about the sociality of work, members of the system, working division of
labour, and artefacts. (get out your Marxist Theory for Dummies [I do :-)])

More people knowing more about theory would help move the discipline
forward, as people would know the trade-off between the
different approaches.

James