I just wanted to comment on this:

Andrei wrote:
My experience is that 9 out of 10 times, people make personas
improperly, and worse, use them to make or justify whatever design
decision suits their fancy that day. But nearly every single person
I've seen use them thinks they are doing it right.
***

The way I see it, Personas make for a good guide to ask the right
questions whenever a new project comes up.  For us, it will be
extremely useful for our development teams merely because they have
no time to go out on site to really know what's out there.

As for the process of developing Personas itself, we've tried a few
methods and we're currently refining them all the time.  We also
want to make sure everything is based on fact.  And we also know
Personas is a big piece of the pie that will help us in the near
future more than harm us.  It's just not the end-all to solve the
big problem.  It's among the various UX techniques to data
gathering.