On Aug 25, 2009, at 6:18 PM, Nick Gould wrote:

Jared, you are selling Caroline's point short... how about this
scenario:

We report that test participants asked to locate the search box
looked in the upper right corner for it. They told us that this is
where they expected it to be and the eyetracking confirms that this
is where they looked for it.

But that's my point! Who cares if they looked in the upper right for the search box? The real question that will make a difference in the performance is, "Did the user find the search box?" Our studies show that, while users expect the search to be in the upper right, they are not hampered in any meaningful way if it's anywhere else prominent on the page. (See http://is.gd/2zZM1.)

Now, maybe you reached for the wrong example here. If you want to try again, I'm all for it.

But there is something we can learn from this example. Because you were focusing on the granularity of "where does the user look" and not "what does the user need", you were focusing on the wrong problem to solve. Moving the search box from whereever it is to the upper right would not solve any problem. The data you collected forced you to focus on the wrong problem, which would commandeer resources to generate a result that probably won't make the design any better.

I'm not sure which point of Caroline's you think I'm selling short. Was it this one?

Jared seems to be focusing strongly on point 1. I somewhat sympathise with his point of view, in that I've not found that the eye-tracking stuff adds greatly to what I can find out from an ordinary observational test without
eye-tracking.

Because I don't think I sold that point short at all!

So, yes, the ET lent further support to a talk aloud finding. For
some clients - rightly or wrongly - this strengthens their confidence
in the results. That's not razzle dazzle, it's just additional,
consistent feedback. They "said" this and they "did" this. Why is
it any different from reporting where they clicked?*

It's only consistent feedback because you decided to make it consistent. You could just as easily say that those eye movements are involuntary and not really indicative of how someone succeeds or fails with the design.

As you (or someone in this thread) stated, eye tracking records unconscious behaviors. Applying meaning to unconscious behavior is a difficult road to go down, because the odds of applying the wrong meanings are very high.

Sure, it's optional - I don't think anyone claims ET replaces talk
aloud or that it's even necessary for a good study. But it can be a
valid, additional tool (in the right hands) for helping clients to
feel comfortable about the research results.

Yah, you keep repeating this. Still waiting to see what that additional value is.

If ET doesn't replace traditional stuff, why bother with it? The traditional stuff is easier, cheaper, better understood, proven to work, and more reliable.

Jared "The Proof is in The Pudding" Spool