cliveb;491641 Wrote:
> It's unclear exactly what Jippers wants. If he wants to equalise the
> perceived loudness across tracks without affecting the dynamic range,
> then for sure ReplayGain with SmartGain on the Squeezebox is the correct
> solution...

But I think the issue is that RG with SG does not have the reach and
thus very clear loudness levels remain when it comes to an extensive
library.

I have to admit this is an issue that bothers me too, and which I have
not been able to find a satisfactory solution for yet. Using easyMP3gain
didn't seem to make things better - my strategy there was not to bring
old albums to 90s and new millennium loudness levels, but rather reduce
the loudness levels of recent productions. Even reductions by 5dB did
not seem to be able to bridge the gap.

I am very curious as to how others have managed or recommend this to be
solved. Which probably means what the best possible compromise is...

--
pablolie

...pablo
Server: Shuttle X27D - Ubuntu 8.04LTS - SBS 7.4.1
Sources: SB3 (3), SB Boom (3), Duet, Accuphase DP65v CD
Amplifier: Accuphase E306v - Creek OBH21/22
Loudspeakers: Ceeroy 3-way tower (tuned) - Audioengine 5/S8 - Acoustic
Energy Aego M
Headphones: Grado SR-1