my 2 cents...

RG is the bomb.  i applied it to thousands of tracks/albums at a time
unattended with winamp, np at all.  i then have SBS and winamp use the
tags on playback, and it works very well.  i know of no problems
whatsoever with smartgain or SBS scanning the tag value incorrectly.
(there was an itunes issue, now fixed, and a clipping issue moonbase was
working on, which i thin is basically also fixed, both old issues by
now)

furthermore, my understanding of "on the fly" plugins is that they
essentially compress the audio, which is what is done at a radio
station.  no thanks to that, it distorts the audio and grates the ear
with prolonged listening.

--
MrSinatra

www.lion-radio.org
using:
sb2 & sbc (my home) / sbr (parent's home) - sbs 7.4.2b - win xp pro sp3
ie8 - p4(ht) 3.2ghz / 2gig ram - 1tb wd usb2 raid1 - d-link dir-655 -
35k mp3