On 08/03/2010 09:16 PM, snarlydwarf wrote:
> Despite claims to the contrary, a decent UPS will protect you from most
> events

To expand on this a bit, there are different types of UPS designs. The
cheap ones switch "quickly", the better ones are called "line
interactive" and always charge the battery and always run off the
battery (not the mains).

I hate APC the company, because they never say which kind their units
are, but since they never state it, and the other vendors such as
Tripp-Lite proudly advertise it for their more expensive units, I would
bet money that all APC are just the cheapies.

Often the cheapies are good enough, and help with short outages and some
spikes.

But if you want real protection, expect to spend twice as much as the
BestBuy sold UPS units.

> Many 'surge suppressors' suck: they are a simple MOV across the line
> and the MOV has a limited lifetime and will give no warning when it has
> used up its useful life.

The limited life, and silent death of MOV is never talked about. Just
when you need it, its gone.

Its an interesting economic decision, a good USP can cost more than the
rest of an inexpensive PC, suitable to use as a music server. It may
make more sense to just have a backup copy of your music and assume that
the server is expendable.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/