I think pfarrels and pski's reasing is sound .

The UPS should not run i "bypass mode" and then switch to battery .

The device protected should run of the generated AC after the DC stage
.
Even if modern UPS should be using static switches (not relays or
contactors) and thus be able to switch within milliseconds .

I think this is getting you better "spike" protection .

But i would also use an overvoltage fillter/protection of some kind if
lived in a rural area with lots of these events, there are (at least in
the 220v world) avaible for plug in to the wall outlet.

But I may be spoiled with what we use at my work, we do not power only
computers, but plc's controll systems cpu boards of vsd drives and
safety systems and emergency stop relays and other industrial equipment
at the same time .

Btw whatever UPS you get don't forget to change the battery after a
couple of years, follow the advice from the battery manufacturer , life
expectancy may vary.
There are many "UPS" out there that are not UPS due to broken batteries
.
Maybe never UPS will have some kind of battery monitoring but if such
alarms occur your very late .

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 and assorted amps
SiriuS, Classe' Primare and Dynadio speakers, Contour 4 Contour Center,
and Contour 1.3SE for the rear ch. Rel Stadium 3 sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Miscellaneous use: Radio (with battery)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this