ninthsrw wrote:
> 1) What exactly did the majority vote for?: The vote was limited to only
> selecting what connectivity methods might be desirable, not selecting
> how those connectivity methods would be implemented (other than with
> respect to overall delay and overall increased cost with respect to the
> product as a whole) - there was insufficient resolution in the voting to
> conclude that the majority voted for a connector box. Moreover,
> disclosure by Olive regarding the the ways they might have chosen to
> implement a connector box was so inadequate - because of deleted posts -
> that it cannot even be said the majority were impliedly voting for a
> connector box.
>
> 2) Per the comments on indigogo they deleted, the connector box has been
> on the table since a day or two after the indigogo campaign, before any
> pressure from the Sqeezebox crowd manifest.

I have been reading all of the comments on the indigogo site since the
Olive ONE campaign started (& have posted a few myself). If I recall
correctly, the early discussions about a connector box / hub may have
been referring to what Olive are now calling a PAC which is the box that
provides a power connector & speaker connections (with a single cable
running back from the PAC to the ONE containing the separate wires for
power/analogue audio), however I may be wrong about this.

The initial product envisaged by the Olive engineers wasnt going to
provide any audio connections other than the speaker connections in the
PAC, however, almost immediately people starting asking if a digital out
could be added to allow owners to use their own DAC (or feed an AV amp).
Olive advised that this could be achieved without a great deal of work
(as am guessing that the PCB already had a connection for a digital
out).

Since then, people (I was one of them) started asking for additional
connections: analogue out, wired Ethernet & USB. Hence the reason that
Olive sent a survey to every backer asking for them to select which
additional connectors (& other features) were of most importance & to
confirm that they still wanted these to be included even if it meant
pushing out the launch date (from July to Sep).

I believe that Olive didnt include a question in the survey about a new
connection box as this came after the survey results had been collated
showing that a large majority wanted additional connections so Olive
then had to find the most elegant solution for this.

Were Olive engineers able to come up with a fully thought through
solution within a couple of days of the survey closing? No, I am sure
that they would have started looking at this a number of weeks ago as a
result of the feedback in the comments section.

There is more background info here:
http://www.indiegogo.com/OliveONE?c=activity

..and you can see the connector box here:
http://myoliveone.com/Ones/tech_specs

I think this is a great solution: for people like me who want to be able
to integrate the ONE into 4 different SB based systems that I have in my
house (one that uses the SB coax digital out to an external DAC, 2 that
use the analogue outs to active speakers and another that uses optical
out to an AV amp), I will buy the connector box; for people who have
more modest demands & just want to hook up the ONE to a pair of
speakers, they dont need to buy the connector box.

Re the communications from Olive (and some comments being deleted),
whilst some people may see this as subterfuge, I just see this as a
company trying to provide a coherent message.

Personally, I find the idea of being able to shape the design of a new
product very exciting and think that the dialogue that Olive has opened
up with potential customers is a great idea. Some of the ideas that
people are suggesting are a bit niche (i.e. DAB+ radio, being able to
stream audio from TVs, audio inputs etc), but this is bound to happen.

Until the ONE is launched, I will continue to make great use of my
current squeezeboxes.