EliteAV wrote:
> If I recall correctly, the early discussions about a connector box / hub
> may have been referring to what Olive are now calling a PAC which is the
> box that provides a power connector & speaker connections (with a single
> cable running back from the PAC to the ONE containing the separate wires
> for power/analogue audio), however I may be wrong about this.
>
> The initial product envisaged by the Olive engineers wasnt going to
> provide any audio connections other than the speaker connections in the
> PAC, however, almost immediately people starting asking if a digital out
> could be added ...
>
> Since then, people (I was one of them) started asking for additional
> connections: analogue out, wired Ethernet & USB. Hence the reason that
> Olive sent a survey to every backer asking for them to select which
> additional connectors (& other features) were of most importance & to
> confirm that they still wanted these to be included even if it meant
> pushing out the launch date (from July to Sep).
>
> I believe that Olive didnt include a question in the survey about a new
> connection box as this came after the survey results had been
> collated...
>
> I think this is a great solution: for people like me who want to be able
> to integrate the ONE into 4 different SB based systems that I have in my
> house (one that uses the SB coax digital out to an external DAC, 2 that
> use the analogue outs to active speakers and another that uses optical
> out to an AV amp), I will buy the connector box; for people who have
> more modest demands & just want to hook up the ONE to a pair of
> speakers, they dont need to buy the connector box.
>
> Re the communications from Olive (and some comments being deleted),
> whilst some people may see this as subterfuge, I just see this as a
> company trying to provide a coherent message.
>
> Personally, I find the idea of being able to shape the design of a new
> product very exciting a
>
> Until the ONE is launched, I will continue to make great use of my
> current squeezeboxes.

1) The "connector box" discussion originated in the the comments a scant
few days after the indigogo campaign went live - now deleted - and was
not directed to the PAC. It was directed to the possibility of
implementing analog outputs. I know because most of the original posts
inquiring about whether or not a "proprietary connector" might be used
to provide "analog out" were mine - I am also a backer - and o how I
wish I had screen shots to share now.

2) The indigogo campaign homepage from the very first day provided that
there would be a digital output from the One as originally designed -
though of course they have since edited that. It appears that whomever
was running their comments was not initially aware that this feature was
included on the campaign homepage. The comments in the first week even
clarified that this would be a coaxial output.

3) Analog outputs via a "dock" with "proprietary connector" were part of
the discussion in the comments more than 20 days before the vote - but
those comments are now deleted.

4) In the earliest comments concerning the implementation of any dock
for analog out, the Olive representative provided that such a dock would
be provided for free to backers - so its not subterfuge per se, just
seems to me that they are chasing a profit motive with manipulative
inducement. For the record, I do not mind the additional cost
personally, and point this out so as to indicate a definitive motive
beyond inexplicable "subterfuge" or an interest in providing a "coherent
message"

5) As noted previously, the notion that we (backers) are somehow
"shaping the deign" seems disingenuous, given that it appears that they
began the campaign with a "coherent message" in mind- and then tried to
lead a horse to water - i.e. the dock and analog output were part of
their road map ab initio, and it seems their "reveal" was intended to
maximize potential-market-awareness during the course of the campaign.
I'm not sure that's a bad thing per se - these devices are not simple to
engineer, such that it was arguably prudent of them to have a sense of
where they could take the design.

6) I was one of the first SB3 users way back when it launched, and I'll
be one of the last to go. But that doesn't mean I'm going to wait to
find a replacement, given other needs and interest.