erland wrote:
> I hate to be realistic, but if this project is going to survive on
> longer terms, it have to be organized in a company and a company will
> need to make profit, how much do you think SB1, 2, 3 users would be
> willing to pay 2016 to get support for their almost 10 year old $300
> players ?
> How many of them do you think would prefer to instead spend that money
> to replace the old devices with a fresh new Community Squeezebox with
> excellent audio quality ?
>
> People often want a lot of things but usually when they realize they
> have to pay for it they don't think it's worth it.
Damn you and your realism ;)

I think this all depends on where this project is heading. From my
standpoint, I've made an investment in older SB devices and I'd like to
contribute to a project that will allow me to extend and improve on that
investment. Also, I've yet to see anything on the market that provides a
similar service at the same price point.

If we really are talking about getting proper corporate support, maybe
the SB2/3/Boom owners would provide a great market from-the-go to buy
more devices?

Regardless, there are plenty of community projects that are doing well
without corporate investment - just look at the media centre ecosystem
with MediaPortal, XBMC, etc.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and I do think it's too early to be
planning a complete replacement to LMS, but I don't think we should rule
it out.