alfista wrote:
> Sorry for being vague, shouldn't have formulated a question before my
> first cup of coffee. I was thinking of the model of the memory device.
> But from your answer I can deduce roughly what kind of Flash it is.
> Flash of that generation usually have pretty much no data retention
> problems, but heat can accelerate the process so maybe using a hotplate
> for soldering could potentially be an issue.
> Never had a problem with data loss in normal circumstances, some 15
> years ago I came across a few memories where single bits had been
> flipped, but that was on outdoor equipment where we suspected lightning
> could have been involved.

Ah, all right. So what Logitech used here, as far as I found on my
bench, is either

Spansion S29AL016D90TFI02

or

AMD AM29LV160DB (-90EC)

Both are 16 megabit CMOS 3V 48-pin TSOP and probably interchangeable.
Infineon has another model that might also be compatible but I have
never checked, so you are on your own trying, the model is Cypress
S29AL016J.

What I think might be the reason is not the memory chip itself or its
exposure to outside influence during the repair but rather a malfunction
somewhere in the OS. I mean the Squeezeboxes are capable of downloading
and flashing their EEPROM themselves, and store configuration data
dynamically (e.g. the Wi-Fi SSID, the WPA password, the LMS server's
host name if an LMS is being used, and some local config like
display-related stuff). The part that is dedicated to writing to the
Flash EEPROM for these purposes might be kicking in at some unexpected
moment and go rogue. Just a tiny fraction of that would be  enough to
brick the device.
Which also means this issue might come back at any time. What is
interesting though is that a device bricking itself is happening only
after years of flawless operation. I would not suggest that the
Squeezeboxes were timebombed though. Logitech does not have anything
better to offer nowadays so it wouldn't serve them to have the previous
generation of devices kill itself. Could be just a glitch somewhere in
the firmware that was overlooked.

Another theory is that the Flash is written too frequently so the flash
cells get weaker. Unlike SSDs with SMART capabilities, these chips don't
monitor themselves and there is no way of knowing how reliable the
memory cells are. Also, there is no load balancing to ensure that all
cells are used so they all age at the same rate. There may be test
equipment to find out detail but I guess nobody has something at hand
that can evaluate the quality of a Flash chip, and not destroy it any
further along the way.
In case of an aged chip I would expect that reflashing has issues, for
instance, verifying a freshly written image should result in some errors
if cells don't accept the new data as they should. But maybe the cells
recover (at least for a time) when they are erased and then completely
reflashed. It's too early now to say that reflashing the original EEPROM
is the cure forever. If the chip is aged, the device might just be on
the edge of dying again soon. I will keep watching this. At least this
might explain why the devices fail this way only after more than 10
years.
I believe the Squeezeboxes write to Flash whenever something is changed
about the basic configuration (which requires to go to the Settings menu
or even to the setup menu), and also when there are changes about
display brightness, "now playing" info screen, volume etc. Of course
these are all assumptions but if I were the developer dedicated to
storing dynamic configuration values to Flash memory, I would try to do
that as rarely as possible, for instance when the device changes mode
from on to standby. In that moment, I would collect all config data that
is relevant for permanent storage, compare it to the values being in the
config storage already, and only writing the difference. But who knows
if the Squeezebox firmware is actually that smart. Unfortunately, the
address where the config is held is always the same so, assuming there
is no wear balancing, the same Flash cells are written over and over
again, which might actually be a problem. Maybe the  designers didn't
care much about Flash memory wearing at all. If so, how could they have
known that these systems get so popular and will be in use for so long?
I remember  Tesla was in the news about Flash memory in their cars which
ages rapidly because of the permanent camera surveillance and everything
being recorded. It seems that they forgot that Flash isn't lasting
forever, and over-used it heavily. But that's a different amount of data
and bandwidth. Squeezeboxes are doing nothing in comparison. Still, it's
a thought.
>From that perspective it might be best to use entirely new chips instead
of reusing the original ones...

But let's keep discussing here. It's very interesting to include your
opinions on this, guys. I'm far from being an expert here.

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog:
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?rinli=1&pli=1&blogID=5053304027701850753#allposts