Too lazy to dig up the datasheets for those memories but I suspect they
are rated at 10,000 or even 100,000 erase cycles. I feel it is unlikely
wear should be an issue when used in this application.
Since the erase operation is rather slow, sometimes you don't erase and
overwrite when using this kind of device to store small data structures
such as player settings, instead you invalidate one setting entry and
then append a new. This way you normally don't waste an erase cycle each
time you change a setting. Just speculating, have no idea if any of this
is how it's done in the SB.

And for more speculation. Perhaps some power glitch could be derailing
the state machines inside the Flash that perform the low level
erase/write operations, leaving stuff half erased/written? Especially
since the failures were triggered when playback was about to start. Now,
given that this happened after you had replaced a bunch of capacitors
that were past their prime the voltages should be cleaner than before,
there's a lot to contradict this theory, but maybe it's still worth
looking for ripple or spikes on the voltages. Anecdotally, I've seen
some weird issues in some consumer electronics when I replaced
electrolytic caps of questionable pedigree with the best stuff I could
get my hands on, seems like the design was tuned for the low budget
components.