Although I understand that non-DRM AAC isn't proprietary - it is defined
as part of the MPEG-4 standards.

That's not to say there isn't licensing issues with AAC (just as there
is with MP3 - hence LAME) - but Roku and lots of other applications
have implemented AAC. My Sony Ericsson mobile phone plays AAC tracks as
ringtones without a problem.

I'm sure it is a priority call by Slimdevices - while AAC may not be a
proprietary technology, I'm sure there are lots of other things that
are higher priority than native AAC on the Squeezebox given there
already is a workable solution based on server transcoding.

--
mikerob