blkwrx Wrote:
> First off EAC may be the most complicated Ripping software to set up,
> Although its also probably the best. Regardless there are a lot less
> complicated rippers like the one mentioned above (dbpoweramp).

I LOVE the idea of having the option of using something as complex as
EAC or as simple as dbpoweramp. My suggestion might include a software
option in Squeezebox that would be simple with another option to choose
a more complex variant if wanted/needed.

Say a less sophisticated user than yourself loaded or downloaded
Slimserver and there was a dialog box or question - Are you new to hard
drive music streaming? [Yes] [No]  Would you like to use Slim devices
software to create your music files? [Yes] [No] Or do you prefer using
different software.

This might allow beginners to get up and runnig quickly, enhancng their
experience with the Squeeze Box and allowing time to explore other more
complicated methods if desired.

> I don't see why Slim Devices would want to put the R&D into adding a
> ripper to the software when the majority of there customers would
> rather use an external ripper. I personally would rather have that R&D
> going into upgrading the current software's functionality.

I think that's the point I'm making. They already have a market based
on sophisticated users like yourself. I'm suggesting if it could be
made simpler they may broaden their appeal. It might compromise their
R&D budget but it might also increase their R&D budget.

> I guess they could bundle another companies ripper with the device but
> unless it rips on par with EAC or even dbpoweramp I would say they are
> just wasting money.

If they could succeed at increasing their market buy bundling or
creating simple to use software it would not be a 'waste' of money it
would be an 'investment' of money. Would it return that investment?
That's the question left to the managers of Slim Devices.

--
LHawes