On 30.03.2017 18:15, Carol Willing wrote:
[snip]
Unlike nano, Atom was designed for people familiar with web browsing,
and it could be argued that nano while seeming simple to some is more
difficult to those that have grown up using the web browser daily.
Having taught many students in different workshops, Atom just works. It
takes minutes to install and students have no difficulty using it. I
haven't seen students have difficulty opening a file or navigating
directories.

I have taught plenty of 20-something people who had very flimsy ideas of what a file system was, what a directory was, and where their files were. This is something they do learn in the shell lesson, but still, having them maneuver in the directory structure like this for an editor will take time away from teaching them all the other stuff in the lesson.

I have no big opinions on editors as such, but for SWC I strongly think it should be a terminal based editor to avoid these issues.

Karin