Dj,

I'm glad you asked this. I've really lucked out so far and have always worked
in an environment that uses client certificates for authentication.  The
identity of the user is established on every single connection, and I never
have to worry about it.  But in the near future, I'm going to have to solve the
same problem that you're looking at now.

You make some astute observations, HTTP_BASIC is only safe over HTTPS, which is
very limiting, especially when deploying to GAE.  HTTP_DIGEST has some poorly
understood compatibility problems with different HTTP clients, furthermore, it
isn't what GAE uses natively.

It seems that for the GAE edition in particular it would be nice to have an
Authenticator that could integrate with the GAE APIs.  I'm sure if it isn't
done by the time I have to tackle that project that I'll wind up writing one.
Does the restlet team have any specific advice for creating a subclass of
Authenticator that can get the Google account identity? Specifically a way to
use a restlet to write the login example given on this link:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/users/overview.html

-Matt

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2590628