Ok, I realize you are all talking mostly from a B2B perspective. I'm
developing a realtime comet system for multiplayer games (Ajax, JSON,
Rupy); so my perspective is a little different.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make my XSS messaging system as
cheaply scalable as possible; specifically how to transfer users from the
lobby to a game room on another server and how to build a generic protocol
for this.

Comet is hard to build without session state since you communicate on two
sockets with every client and in my case the session is used to tie these
together.

Anyhow I have a stateful client, now I just need to figure out the best
way to synchronize clients and I think you are right; CPU goes before
bandwidth in my case too.

Maybe a "fullstate" monopacket protocol?

Cheers,

/marc

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2591952