I'm in full agreement with Chris.  The CD burning issue is not unique to
pfSense.  It will happen with any system if you have bad compatibility
between your CD/DVD burner, media, and your drive reading the result.  I've
seen it with certain media with many other OSes given the wrong combination.
This is not an issue with the OS, pfSense or any other system that has issues
with booting from the CD/DVD media after it is burned.

I have some media that will repeat this problem almost every time and the same
ISO burnt to some other media is rock solid every time.

I bet if you verify the md5sum of the media you're having trouble booting from
it will show the burn was bad when compared to the original ISO.  It's not
pfSense.

Ron