On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 22:04 +0200, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> I think searchability is an additional benefit for the general public.

Ofir and Daniel, thanks a lot for this suggestion!

Everyone else:

1. Please continue to brainstorm more ideas how textual transcripts can
be useful for the general population, not only for the deaf.  So far we
have:
- Much shorter files, faster to download.
- Ability to speed-read by busy people.
- Searchability (when one looks for a particular passage in the
lecture).
- Web crawling for Web search engines.
- Ability to use Babelfish & Co. to translate into another language.

2. All Lecture club Webmasters (HAIFUX, TELUX, BIUX, Jerusalem, Perl,
Python, etc.), please:

In the Web page which features the lecture recording audio files, please
add request to help in transcribing parts into text, citing the above
non-deaf-related benefits.

Suggest to start with marking the times where new sections start and
adding section headings (with the relevant keywords).  This would not
very useful for me and other deaf persons, but would provide 80% of the
benefit of full transcription to you busy and fun-loving hearies, with
less than 20% of the effort; and then maybe some people can be motivated
to fill in whole sections.

For now, the transcription process can be supported by Wiki with time
marks, like the way Larry Wall's lecture's transcription process is
being carried out.

> BTW, I'm curious, are video recordings of lectures lip-readable?

Not more or less than lipreadability of talking head type TV programs.
Their lipreadability is well known to be inadequate, so subtitles
(captions) are always needed.

> Daniel
>
> Omer Zak wrote:
>
> >How about looking for, and listing benefits from textual transcripts,
> >which people with normal hearing may get.
> >For example:
> >- Much shorter files, faster to download.
> >- Ability to speed-read by busy people.
> >- Maybe other benefits, which occur to the creative minds so abundant
> >among Hamakor members?
> >
> >This is another approach to solving the problem of justifying the effort
> >of transcribing lectures.

                                            --- Omer
--
Every good master plan involves building a time machine.  Moshe Zadka
My own blog is at http://tddpirate.livejournal.com/

I may be affiliated in any way.