2011/5/29 Nadav Har'El <n...@math.technion.ac.il>:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011, Ira Abramov wrote about "Re: FW: I have to cancel the
> speeches at universities":
>> כמו שאמרתי, סטולמן לא ביישן. אם זו היתה החלטה שלו להחרים מרצונו את ישראל,
>> הוא היה אומר את זה בגאווה. זה לא המקרה לדעתי.
>

> תארו לכם ששתי אוניברסיטאות שכנות רוצות להזמין אורח, אבל רק אחת מהן משלמת את
> כל מחיר הטיסה. לא מפתיע שהאוניברסיטה המשלמת מרגישה "פריירית". עכשיו תוסיפו
> לכך את העובדה שיש יריבות לאומית בין שתי האוניברסיטאות, ודי ברור מדוע
> הפלסטינים מסרבים לממן את ביקורו של סטולמן בישראל. כנראה שסירוב כזה נשמע
> לגיטימי גם לסטולמן.

Nadav,
Usually your comments are extremely clever so I was surprised that you
are raising the issue of who is financing the trip. If that was really
the issue I am sure Stallman could write to the 3 Israeli organizers
and ask them if they can help in splitting the costs.

I am sure we could have come up with the money.

I am very surprised and disappointed at his decision as it could have been
an opportunity in lots of directions.
For example the Palestinians could have come up with a head-line
"Palestinians financing the speeches of RMS in Israel about Freedom of Speech"
or if they really want to solve things together then:
"Freedom of speech unites the Palestinian and Israeli hackers"

Of course I could even accept the otherwise very paternalistic view of
"The Palestinians need to hear Stallman. They need to hear about freedom and
we Israelis don't as we already know all if it." If he pointed that
out in his mail.
He did not. So we can only put words in his mouth regarding this.

Gabor
http://szabgab.com/