Paul Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 09:20, Tzu-ping Chung <uranusjr(a)gmail.com&gt; wrote:
> >  I’m wondering, why is it needed to specify both a version and a link? I
> > assume the
> > version specifier would be redundant when a link is provided as the source,
> > since the link
> > can only point to one possible package version.
> From what I understand of the underlying use case, it's something
> along the lines of "we updated our git repository and pip didn't
> upgrade the package to the new version". So the problem here is likely
> that people are using URL references to point to something that
> changes over time, rather than to a "specific artifact" as PEP 508
> specifies. It's quite possible that URL specifiers aren't the right
> solution here, but without a clear and fully specified requirement,
> it's nearly impossible to tell :-(

Well, yes, that's basically it. I don't think that there is anything wrong with
PEP 508 pointing only at specific versions. BUT, it's widely proposed as
replacement for dependency links, which it's clearly not because of this issue.
If you think that PEP 508 should not be considered to be dependency links
replacement, just say so and I can take this issue somewhere else (probably
back to pip maintainers, asking them to revive dependency links until suitable
replacement is proposed).