On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 20:09, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 09:51, Jan Musílek <jan.musi...@nic.cz> wrote:
> > Well, yes, that's basically it. I don't think that there is anything wrong
> > with PEP 508 pointing only at specific versions. BUT, it's widely proposed
> > as replacement for dependency links, which it's clearly not because of this
> > issue.
>
> OK, I think that it may well be in that case that URL specifiers don't
> satisfy that specific use case that dependency_links did[1]. But URL
> specifiers were *intended* to replace dependency_links, so if they
> don't do so then it's likely because users of dependency_links didn't
> successfully explain their requirements, and something got missed as a
> result.

It wasn't an accident - the design of dependency links lets arbitrary
packages in your dependency tree send your installer off to spider
random sites on the internet for packages, and then when those sites
break, your installation breaks.

As a package consumer, when dependency links are enabled, you have no
idea what servers your install process is actually going to go off and
talk to, even if you specify `--binary-only :all:` to prevent local
execution of setup.py scripts. It's essentially the same problem that
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0470/ eliminated at the PyPI
level.

So URL specifiers replaced the part of dependency links that we
actually wanted to keep: letting projects *temporarily* depend on VCS
repos and other URLs while waiting for a release containing the
feature that they needed, while focusing on abstract dependencies
outside those cases (and deliberately eliminating the ability to add
arbitrary new repositories to the dependency resolution process).