I have a hybrid system:

1. Main music listening system (with Transporter feeding
preamp/amp/speakers)
2. Home Theater system (with TOUCH feeding AV System via S/PDIF coax to
DAC of AV system.)
3. Boom (bedroom bedside)
4. "Whole house distributed systems with speaker wire runs back to
central location":  TOUCH feeding small preamp/amp.  Amp feeds speaker
switch box that feeds ceiling speakers in (i) Bathroom, (ii) Kitchen
(iii) dining room  (also have a SB RADIO in wife's closet....didn't
think about needing sound in there or would have added Speakers, but she
spends a lot of time in there in the morning and wants to hear morning
radio shows in there).  Distributed system Touch and RADIO are always
synched

So I can listen to the same thing in Kitchen, bath, dining room, closet
via the distributed system (morning radio listening). I can separately
listen to my main stereo system or music through my AV system or bedside
Boom.  And I can have everything synched (and with all hardware players,
the synch is rock solid perfect. I can stand in the middle of one space
where I hear my main stereo, the AV system and the dining room and
bathroom system and all is perfectly lined up.  Hardware SB players are
known to synch better than "software" SB players (although supposedly
the latter has gotten much better).

All this is served by a single server with all my music that runs 24/7
(6TB vortexbox appliance). I can control all this from various
controllers (iphones, ipad, Squeezeplay on laptop, SB CONTROLLER, TOUCH
or Radio itself, and of course Boom controls itself from front panel)
.