MrEb wrote:
> The point you made Aubuti, relating to in wall volume controls isn’t
> something I had really considered. I can imagine alright the convince of
> that for people in the house, going further to Jim’s point for
> strangers, infrequent visitors (and our folks when they visit) not
> having an in wall control could be somewhat of an annoyance.
Not only that, but when you're rocking out cooking or washing up and get
a phone call, it's nice to be able to just spin the volume dial without
drying hands, finding remote, opening app, etc.

MrEb wrote:
> This is an idea I do really like, as well as the solving the
> all-on/all-off issue it would also be the area I would most like to have
> completely in sync, the others would not be so much of a concern.
Yes, the SB system syncs very well, but for 100% reliable perfect sync,
nothing beats a single source  ;-)

Fortunately my better half only pushed for no boxes in our
kitchen/dining addition, and was willing to live with boxes elsewhere.
She was even good enough to put up with boxes (amp, SB2, network switch)
for the kitchen setup as long as they were on the top shelf of the
pantry closet, where she can't reach anything anyway. I got very lucky
with the timing, as we were in the middle of the remodeling in late
2007, just as we started beta testing the Duet Controller, and the
prospects for non-IR, non-laptop remote control of SBs started opening
up. Otherwise we would have had a SB3/Classic right where the Controller
is next to our microwave (see
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=285125).

MrEb wrote:
> There is one room I think would be perfect for this(...well unless a few
> kids come along and then it could well be confiscated!). I will take a
> look myself to see what kind of system might work here but if you have
> any suggestions it would be good to take a look at them.
The possibilities are, as they say, endless. At this stage I would say
that in addition to putting Cat5e or Cat6 everywhere, consider putting
some decent speaker cable in the walls of the potential listening room,
along with wall plates. That could end up being convenient for putting
your source and amp somewhere more convenient than near the speakers, or
running a lot of speaker cable over the floor. Because in my experience
boxes garner more acceptance if they don't come with lots of cables
running all over the place. As with the cables you're running for the
in-ceiling speakers, be sure the cable is rated for in-wall use.