On 7-jul-2006, at 17:50, Bill de hÓra wrote:

> This is my point. Cut what exactly?  "No good" for what exactly? We
> could file patches to see what sticks, but it might be better to
> figure
> what's wanted first, instead of playing fetch me a rock.

This is handled by Unicode standard and is called transliteration.
The problem is that it's locale dependent.
AFAIK Python's codecs don't implement it (but ICU4R does). If you go
for tables it's going to be _many_.

URLs can be Unicode-aware, just encoded - so why not replacing
whitespace with dashes and doing a Unicode downcase,
and be done with it? Some browsers (Safari) even show you the request
string verbatim, so it's very readable.