Hi,

Tweaking Trac seems to be in the air, so I had some more ideas to
suggest :)

The "component" field in Trac is very useful when people look for
tickets in their areas of familiarity/expertise. I think there are a
few things that should be cleaned up to make the system a bit more
useful and effective:

* The "Contrib apps" component [1] should be made redundant and new
components for each missing contrib app (e.g. contenttypes, sitemaps)
should be added. I mean, even databrowse has its own component! :) The
"Contrib app" mixes lots of unrelated things, making it a bit
pointless.
* For consistency, the "Authentication" component should be renamed to
django.contrib.auth, and "RSS framework" to
django.contrib.syndication.
* Clarify what the "Core framework" component [2] means, as it ends up
being used for a lot of irrelevant things (for example, I've just
cleaned out a lot of ORM-related tickets). Note that django.core.mail
has its own component, but there are so many things that could be
considered as part of the core framework that it might be difficult
and counter-productive to split it in a gazillion components (as
opposed to the number of contrib apps which is reasonably small and
will never grow). At the very least, the name "Core framework" should
be disambiguated if possible.
* Merge the "User experience" component [3] with django.contrib.admin
since it contains very few tickets and the vast majority of user
experience related tickets will likely always be related to the admin
anyway.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Julien

[1] Contrib apps component:
http://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=Contrib+apps&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=status&col=milestone&col=version&order=priority
[2] Core framework component:
http://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=Core+framework&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=status&col=milestone&col=version&order=priority
[3] User experience component:
http://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=closed&status=new&status=reopened&component=User+Experience&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=status&col=milestone&col=version&order=priority