Hi all,

Now that 1.3 has been released (yay!), I'm reviving this thread to see
if we can make Trac a little more efficient on our way to 1.4. I'll
try to summarise what's been suggested so far in regard to improving
and clarifying the "Component" field:

* The "Contrib apps" component would be made redundant and new
components for each missing contrib app (e.g. contenttypes, sitemaps)
would be added. Also, for readability's sake, "django.contrib.foo"
would be renamed to simply "contrib.foo".

* For consistency, the "Authentication" component would be renamed to
"contrib.auth", and "RSS framework" to "contrib.syndication".

* Consolidate "django-admin.py", "django-admin.py inspectdb" and
"django-admin.py runserver" into one component (called "Management
commands" perhaps?).

* Rename "Django Web site" to "Djangoproject.com Web site"

* Lastly, potentially the most controversial change: for clarity's
sake, rename "Core framework" to "Core (Other)", "Cache system" to
"Core (Cache system)", "django.core.mail" to "Core (Mail)", and
"Serialization" to "Core (Serialization)".

Let me know if any of that is total yak shaving or if it's worth
implementing. By the way, the reason why I care about this
specifically is because I think that by making the component data more
accurate and consistent, we'll drive in more useful contribution from
people who feel they are expert or simply interested in specific areas
of the codebase.

Many thanks!

Julien